I came across Timothy Adam in the Etsy forums one day. I was reading a thread in the Business & Marketing section and read a reply posted by him. I don't remember what the thread was about but I do remember that is reply was very helpful. As I went through more and more posts, I realized that he was a pretty active participant, often posting great answers to questions and links to more useful information. His blog Critiques and Reviews is particularly useful for Etsy sellers. The blog is designed to help Etsy shop owners. It offers tips, how-to videos and reviews of other Etsy shops. It is definitely a blog worth checking out.
Although all of Timothy's items blew me away, I was particularly intrigued by The Handbook to Handmade. The Handbook to Handmade is a monthly book of 35 Etsy artists and their shops. It is a promotional tool that is used to help promote artists and Etsy. To date, there are five volumes featuring 175 Etsy artists, and over 200 copies sold (if I counted correctly).
Timothy adds a lot of value to Etsy, and for that, I thought I would introduce him to you. ...
1. How would you describe your art?
I describe my art as modern industrial.
2. How long have you been making art?
Four years this june
3. What inspires your work?
Other modern art and modern buildings.
4. What is the Handbook to Handmade?
The handbook to handmade is a monthly 80 page book that showcases 35 artists. Each artist has a two page feature. The artists use the book as a promotional tool to show to galleries and customers. Volume 6 is in the works right now.
5. How did you come up with the idea?
With all the talk on the forums about outside Etsy marketing, I knew I had to come up with something. I was actually going to make my own portfolio and just thought that featuring other artists would be fun...6 volumes and 225 artists later, it is a hit!
6. You currently have 738 sales. (This number has changed by now.) How do you attract customers to your shop?
Well it all starts with my product... I have a a unique style and am one of the only jewelry designers that is primarily using only steel. I also attract a ton of traffic due to the handbook. Offering something to the Etsy community has been great.
7. Is there any advice you would like to offer about becoming a successful seller?
Always have fun with what you are doing... Be passionate, focused, and always provide quick and excellent customer service.
8. I've read your blog a couple of times, and you seem to always offer advice and tools for Etsy sellers. How much time do you invest in your blog?
I invest a ton of time in my blogs... Blogs are a huge part of my business.
9. Do you think your blog draws buyers to your shop?
Yes, over and over.
10. Which item in your shop is your favorite?
Living Steel Jewelry Display
11. What are some of your favorite items on Etsy?
Wide Black Hole Ring
Name: Timothy Adam
Business Name: Timothy Adam Designs
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Etsy shop: timothyadamdesigns.etsy.com
Blog 2: critiquesandreviews.blogspot.com/