Who's Behind NM?

My photo
Nature Manipulated (NM) creates visual, wearable and practical art that reflects upon nature and all of its elements. At NM, we believe that everything is a part of nature, some things are just "nature manipulated."

NM specializes in one-of-a-kind handcrafted jewelry, handmade greeting cards, nature photography and other unique accessories.

To read more about who's behind NM, please click here.
join our mailing list
* indicates required

Some of the people who love NM

Grab my button





NM is a Proud Member of the Following Teams

Photobucket

Photobucket

Square Av


Join Artfire

ArtFire - Buy Handmade - Sell Handmade

Friday, April 11, 2008

Finding Serenity with Escaping Velocity

I don't search Etsy too often. Most of the shops I buy from or browse come through the forums. Usually I'll click on a link to an item and if it's intriguing I'll view the rest of the seller's shop. A few weeks ago, I clicked on a link and was brought to "The Lover's Window" (photo on left). I felt like I was transported. Yes, I was still on Etsy, but I was looking into an empty window, wondering who was inside. Was it a woman who's waited too long for her husband to come home? Or was it a young girl who's given up on love?

I wanted to know who was behind the window. I responded to the post with my thoughts and just as expected of an artist, I did not get my answer. Art is often left for the viewer to ponder. Artists, at least the ones I know, rarely offer interpretations of their work. Since I wasn't going to hear the artist's interpretation, I figured I would ask her, Escaping Velocity a few general questions and leave the interpretations up to us, the readers.

1. How would you describe your photography?

Some of it is conceptual, but I mostly photograph a diverse body of work that I hope evokes emotion in the viewer, and helps them connect with the piece. Even if it's something as simple as a door or a window.

2. How long have you been taking photographs?

About three years.

3. What kind of camera do you use?

A digital camera, Samsung.

4. How did you start out taking pictures?

Well, when I was younger I always found it interesting to take pictures of small things, such as insects, things nobody really noticed but seemed extraordinary to me. Years later, I picked up a camera again and felt this was really what I wanted to do. I have been ever since.

5. Where does your inspiration come from? What sorts of things inspire your work? (Examples)

My inspiration can come from a word, a song lyric, an idea I have in my head, a story, or something as simple as something I might pass as I walk outside. For instance my photo "The Lovers Window," I happened to come across while taking a walk in town. My intention was not to take photographs upon the walk, but I always bring my camera with me for just in case moments like those.

6. What do you like photographing most?

My favorite thing to photograph is people, although I have no examples up on the web yet. I love to use people to create conceptual photographs that express a certain idea and really say something. Not just ordinary everyday portraits.

7. Which is your favorite print? Why?

Of those up, I would have to say that the "Lonely Man's Door" is most likely my favorite. I really love the color it has to it, and I've always had a thing for doors and windows. I found this house in a town nearby my own, and it stood right out amongst the houses of white and beige. I really like things like that, things that seem as if they do not belong.

8. Are there any tips you would like to offer other photographers?

Photograph the things that captivate you and don't worry about fitting into a niche.

9. Is there a question you would like to ask other photographers?
Well, I don't think there's one specific thing I could pinpoint. It would really depend on who's work I'm looking at. I'm often really interested in the story behind the photo I'm looking at.

Artist/Business Information:

Business/Shop Name: Escaping Velocity Photography

Photographer: Harley Altaville

Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Etsy URL: escapingvelocity.etsy.com

Blog URL: harleyhardcore.blogspot.com

8 comments:

industrialpoppy said...

Very interesting artwork; great interview. For me, this work is very haunting.

Nature Manipulated said...

Why haunting industrialpoppy?

gardencris27 said...

Beautiful pictures!

Hyla said...

WoW, those are so gorgeous pieces!

HarleyShine said...

Wow Michelle! Thank you so much for the great feature, you did an amazing job! I'm extremely honored.

This certainly made my morning!
Thank you again :]

UniqueNurseGranny said...

Good interview.

Jen said...

very thought provoking...

industrialpoppy said...

I find much of this imagery haunting because, for me, the windows/doorways suggest an unknown solitary passage to an uncertain destination. Will crossing the threshhold result in irrevocable changes? For good or bad? There is a serenity in them that for me implies quiet isolation; beautiful but very physically alone. Not sure why!

Related Posts with Thumbnails